Project renaming

Scott Stark
One thing that needs to happen for each Jakarta EE project is a renaming to avoid the Oracle trademarked names and acronyms. The means that Contexts and Dependency Injection for Java needs to change to avoid the use of Java. The current proposed name from the steering committee is Jakarta Contexts and Dependency Injection.

The projects should have been asked by the PMC what their preferred rename is, but I have not seen anything back from the CDI dev group. I had asked this question a while back but it appears to be have bounced due to not being subscribed, so I wanted to raise this question again.

Are there other preferences this project would like the steering and specification committees to entertain?

Re: Project renaming

Reza Rahman

Jakarta Contexts and Dependency Injection seems like a good name to me.

On 5/17/2019 10:29 AM, Scott Stark wrote:
One thing that needs to happen for each Jakarta EE project is a renaming to avoid the Oracle trademarked names and acronyms. The means that Contexts and Dependency Injection for Java needs to change to avoid the use of Java. The current proposed name from the steering committee is Jakarta Contexts and Dependency Injection.

The projects should have been asked by the PMC what their preferred rename is, but I have not seen anything back from the CDI dev group. I had asked this question a while back but it appears to be have bounced due to not being subscribed, so I wanted to raise this question again.

Are there other preferences this project would like the steering and specification committees to entertain?

Re: Project renaming

Markus KARG

There is no such risk, as Oracle officially allows everybody explicitly to use the suffix "for Java". You only need to rename in case the word Java is used without "for".

-Markus

One thing that needs to happen for each Jakarta EE project is a renaming to avoid the Oracle trademarked names and acronyms. The means that Contexts and Dependency Injection for Java needs to change to avoid the use of Java. The current proposed name from the steering committee is Jakarta Contexts and Dependency Injection.

The projects should have been asked by the PMC what their preferred rename is, but I have not seen anything back from the CDI dev group. I had asked this question a while back but it appears to be have bounced due to not being subscribed, so I wanted to raise this question again.

Are there other preferences this project would like the steering and specification committees to entertain?

Re: Project renaming

Mark Struberg
+1, the legal conept is called 'nominative use' of a mark.

Otoh I like the rename for consistency reasons with other EE specs and to make it clear that we switched packages.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 17.05.2019 um 09:03 schrieb Markus KARG <[hidden email]>:
>
> There is no such risk, as Oracle officially allows everybody explicitly to use the suffix "for Java". You only need to rename in case the word Java is used without "for".
> -Markus

So CDI is meanwhile an Ecipse project?

+1, the legal conept is called 'nominative use' of a mark.

Otoh I like the rename for consistency reasons with other EE specs and to
make it clear that we switched packages.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 17.05.2019 um 09:03 schrieb Markus KARG <[hidden email]>:
>
> There is no such risk, as Oracle officially allows everybody explicitly to
use the suffix "for Java". You only need to rename in case the word Java is
used without "for".
> -Markus

code under the Apache License, Version 2
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html). For all other ideas
provided on this list, the provider waives all patent and other intellectual
property rights inherent in such information.

Re: Project renaming

Reza Rahman
To be honest, I like the renaming for the same reason. It is also a nice
way to show support for Jakarta EE.

On 5/17/2019 7:28 PM, Mark Struberg wrote:

> +1, the legal conept is called 'nominative use' of a mark.
>
> Otoh I like the rename for consistency reasons with other EE specs and to make it clear that we switched packages.
>
> LieGrue,
> strub
>

>> Am 17.05.2019 um 09:03 schrieb Markus KARG <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> There is no such risk, as Oracle officially allows everybody explicitly to use the suffix "for Java". You only need to rename in case the word Java is used without "for".
>> -Markus

Just the specification project and API at this point to move from the JCP to the JESP. Still to be determined where the TCK lives and the Weld implementation will remain separate.