ProcessAnnotatedType & Bean Discovery mode

ProcessAnnotatedType & Bean Discovery mode

John Ament

Hi,

An issue popped up in OWB wanted to get the EG's perspective on this.

I have a given bean archive, with a class in it (no bean defining annotations).  My interpretation of [1] and [2] is that this class is fired as a ProcessAnnotatedType, regardless of what is in beans.xml.  In OWB, if I do bean-discovery-mode=annotated it does not get fired, but if it is all, even with a <trim/> a PAT gets fired.  However it seems that it should get fired before anything is even considered about the class, and whether it has annotations.

[1]: https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/1.2/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type

[2]: https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/2.0/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type

John

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information which should be treated accordingly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this message, and destroy all physical and electronic copies. Thank you.

Re: ProcessAnnotatedType & Bean Discovery mode

Martin Kouba
Hi John,

I think OWB interpretation is correct.

In an implicit bean archive (implicit = bean archive with
bean-discovery-mode=annotated) PAT is only fired for discovered types
and the container only discovers each class with a bean defining annotation.

For trimmed bean archive - only explicit bean archives may be marked as
'trimmed'. PAT is fired there but if it does not have a bean defining
annotation it's removed from the set of discovered types, i.e. no bean
is created.

Martin

Dne 23.7.2017 v 14:32 John Ament napsal(a):

> Hi,
>

> An issue popped up in OWB wanted to get the EG's perspective on this.
>

> I have a given bean archive, with a class in it (no bean defining
> annotations).  My interpretation of [1] and [2] is that this class is
> fired as a ProcessAnnotatedType, regardless of what is in beans.xml.  In
> OWB, if I do bean-discovery-mode=annotated it does not get fired, but if
> it is all, even with a <trim/> a PAT gets fired.  However it seems that
> it should get fired before anything is even considered about the class,
> and whether it has annotations.
>

> [1]:
> https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/1.2/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type
>
> [2]:
> https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/2.0/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type
>

> John

> NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may contain
> confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information which should be
> treated accordingly. If you are not the intended recipient, please
> notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this message, and
> destroy all physical and electronic copies. Thank you.

Martin Kouba
Senior Software Engineer
Red Hat, Czech Republic

Re: ProcessAnnotatedType & Bean Discovery mode

Matej Novotny
Hi

It sounds like they they have it correct - with `annotated` mode you only fire PAT for classes with bean defining annotation.
With mode `all` it will obviously fire PAT and if we are talking <trim/> then you fire PAT for all and then only
continue processing those which have bean defining annotations.

Matej

> An issue popped up in OWB wanted to get the EG's perspective on this.
>

> I have a given bean archive, with a class in it (no bean defining
> annotations). My interpretation of [1] and [2] is that this class is fired
> as a ProcessAnnotatedType, regardless of what is in beans.xml. In OWB, if I
> do bean-discovery-mode=annotated it does not get fired, but if it is all,
> even with a <trim/> a PAT gets fired. However it seems that it should get
> fired before anything is even considered about the class, and whether it has
> annotations.
>

> [1]: https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/1.2/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type
>
> [2]: https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/2.0/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type
>

> John
>

> NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential,
> proprietary, and/or privileged information which should be treated
> accordingly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
> immediately by return e-mail, delete this message, and destroy all physical
> and electronic copies. Thank you.

> Note that for all code provided on this list, the provider licenses the code
> under the Apache License, Version 2
> (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html). For all other ideas
> provided on this list, the provider waives all patent and other intellectual
> property rights inherent in such information.

Re: ProcessAnnotatedType & Bean Discovery mode

Antoine Sabot-Durand-2
Yes it’s the correct interpretation.
Confusion may come from the fact that we first considered to specify this feature the other way around (discover all types on implicites bean archive but only keep classes with BDA for bean discovery). We switched to this approach because we thought it was better for backward compatibility.

Antoine

> Le 24 juil. 2017 à 08:27, Martin Kouba <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi John,
>
> I think OWB interpretation is correct.
>
> In an implicit bean archive (implicit = bean archive with
> bean-discovery-mode=annotated) PAT is only fired for discovered types
> and the container only discovers each class with a bean defining annotation.
>
> For trimmed bean archive - only explicit bean archives may be marked as
> 'trimmed'. PAT is fired there but if it does not have a bean defining
> annotation it's removed from the set of discovered types, i.e. no bean
> is created.
>
> Martin
>
> Dne 23.7.2017 v 14:32 John Ament napsal(a):
>> Hi,
>>

>> An issue popped up in OWB wanted to get the EG's perspective on this.
>>

>> I have a given bean archive, with a class in it (no bean defining
>> annotations).  My interpretation of [1] and [2] is that this class is
>> fired as a ProcessAnnotatedType, regardless of what is in beans.xml.  In
>> OWB, if I do bean-discovery-mode=annotated it does not get fired, but if
>> it is all, even with a <trim/> a PAT gets fired.  However it seems that
>> it should get fired before anything is even considered about the class,
>> and whether it has annotations.
>>

>> [1]:
>> https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/1.2/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type
>>
>> [2]:
>> https://docs.jboss.org/cdi/spec/2.0/cdi-spec.html#process_annotated_type
>>

>> John

>> NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may contain
>> confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information which should be
>> treated accordingly. If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this message, and
>> destroy all physical and electronic copies. Thank you.

>> Note that for all code provided on this list, the provider licenses the code under the Apache License, Version 2 (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html). For all other ideas provided on this list, the provider waives all patent and other intellectual property rights inherent in such information.
>>

> --
> Martin Kouba
> Senior Software Engineer
> Red Hat, Czech Republic

Re: ProcessAnnotatedType & Bean Discovery mode

John Ament

Then that means Weld is doing it wrong (firing PAT for all classes).

John

> [...]

>> Note that for all code provided on this list, the provider licenses the code under the Apache License, Version 2 (http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html). For all other ideas provided on this list, the provider waives all patent and other intellectual property rights inherent in such information.
>>

> --
> Martin Kouba
> Senior Software Engineer
> Red Hat, Czech Republic

NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged information which should be treated accordingly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this message, and destroy all physical and electronic copies. Thank you.

Re: ProcessAnnotatedType & Bean Discovery mode

What case exactly do you think Weld does incorrectly?

If you have beans.xml `all` with `<trimm/>`, you should be firing PAT for all. That's what me and Martin said.

Matej

> Then that means Weld is doing it wrong (firing PAT for all classes).
>

> John

The issue has to do with ProcessAnnotatedType firing in a bean archive of discovery mode "annotated."  I think we all agree that if the discovery mode is all with a trim flag, it works correctly.

It appears that if you have an Arquillian test in Weld, where a class has no bean defining annotations, it still has a PAT fired.  If you look at https://github.com/hammock-project/hammock/blob/hammock-1.5/web-tck/src/main/java/ws/ament/hammock/web/tck/ServletTest.java you'll see it includes a DefaultServlet class, which has no bean defining annotations.  In Weld, this generates a PAT, but in OWB it does not.

John

What case exactly do you think Weld does incorrectly?

If you have beans.xml `all` with `<trimm/>`, you should be firing PAT for all. That's what me and Martin said.

Matej

> Then that means Weld is doing it wrong (firing PAT for all classes).
>

> John

Tomas Remes

DefaultServlet appears to have @Dependent annotation.

https://github.com/hammock-project/hammock/blob/hammock-1.5/web-tck/src/main/java/ws/ament/hammock/web/tck/DefaultServlet.java#L31

T.

The issue has to do with ProcessAnnotatedType firing in a bean archive of discovery mode "annotated." I think we all agree that if the discovery mode is all with a trim flag, it works correctly.

It appears that if you have an Arquillian test in Weld, where a class has no bean defining annotations, it still has a PAT fired. If you look at https://github.com/hammock-project/hammock/blob/hammock-1.5/web-tck/src/main/java/ws/ament/hammock/web/tck/ServletTest.java you'll see it includes a DefaultServlet class, which has no bean defining annotations. In Weld, this generates a PAT, but in OWB it does not.

John

What case exactly do you think Weld does incorrectly?

If you have beans.xml `all` with `<trimm/>`, you should be firing PAT for all. That's what me and Martin said.

Matej

> Then that means Weld is doing it wrong (firing PAT for all classes).
>

> John

Sorry, should have been "DefaultListener"

John

The issue has to do with ProcessAnnotatedType firing in a bean archive of discovery mode "annotated." I think we all agree that if the discovery mode is all with a trim flag, it works correctly.

It appears that if you have an Arquillian test in Weld, where a class has no bean defining annotations, it still has a PAT fired. If you look at https://github.com/hammock-project/hammock/blob/hammock-1.5/web-tck/src/main/java/ws/ament/hammock/web/tck/ServletTest.java you'll see it includes a DefaultServlet class, which has no bean defining annotations. In Weld, this generates a PAT, but in OWB it does not.

John

What case exactly do you think Weld does incorrectly?

If you have beans.xml `all` with `<trimm/>`, you should be firing PAT for all. That's what me and Martin said.

Matej

> Then that means Weld is doing it wrong (firing PAT for all classes).
>

> John

I took a look at the Hammock test and I think you are sailing unspecified waters, so to say.
You are right that Weld picks up DefaultListener as a bean even without BDA.

In spec 2.0 section 26.2, there is this:
"In Java EE, the container automatically discovers EJB session beans and **other Java EE component class supporting injection**, in bean archives like it does for managed bean as defined in Type and Bean discovery."

So in EE, Listeners should be picked up with `annotated` even without having BDA.

Now, hammock is using a combination of Weld SE + Servlet right?
So the EE isn't your case, but then again spec doesn't talk about servlet at all.
Therefore, I would say this is up to implementations to decide.

Thoughts,opinions?

Matej

> Sorry, should have been "DefaultListener"
>

> John
>

> ________________________________

In this specific case, that may be what's happening.  I also am seeing it on Entity classes.

John D. Ament
Cloud Software Architect

Sparta Systems

p. 609.807.5466 | m. 609.553.6130

[hidden email] | www.spartasystems.com

I took a look at the Hammock test and I think you are sailing unspecified waters, so to say.
You are right that Weld picks up DefaultListener as a bean even without BDA.

In spec 2.0 section 26.2, there is this:
"In Java EE, the container automatically discovers EJB session beans and **other Java EE component class supporting injection**, in bean archives like it does for managed bean as defined in Type and Bean discovery."

So in EE, Listeners should be picked up with `annotated` even without having BDA.

Now, hammock is using a combination of Weld SE + Servlet right?
So the EE isn't your case, but then again spec doesn't talk about servlet at all.
Therefore, I would say this is up to implementations to decide.

Thoughts,opinions?

Matej

> Sorry, should have been "DefaultListener"
>

> John
>

> ________________________________

This is a problem of the test environment. Hammock tests are using
arquillian-weld-embedded which does NOT support implicit bean archives
(it's using flat deployment structure). I.e. Weld-specific Bootstrapper
is not used at all. Instead, Weld is started within
org.jboss.arquillian.container.weld.embedded.WeldMockContainer.deploy().

I believe that arquillian-container-se [1] would be a better match for
such test cases.

Martin

[1]
https://github.com/arquillian/arquillian-container-se